Historical (44)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Juliet by Anne Fortier

Epic, sensual and fast paced, Danish author Anne Fortier breathed new life into Shakespeare's tragedy and the romance of Romeo and Juliet…

Started by Jenni Wong

0 Sep 9, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

The Grapes of Wrath is set in the 1930s during the Great Depression. The story describes the journey of the Joad family, who are forced to…

Started by Tuesday evening book club

1 Jul 16, 2010
Reply by Thursday Mens reading group

Storm of Time / by Eleanor Dark

Sometimes telling a good story once is not enough.  If compelling characters are created, realistic situations are described, and the resul…

Started by Kim Allen Scott

0 Jun 17, 2010

White Queen by Philippa Gregory

I found this book very brutal and bloody but grasping, enjoyable and interesting by the queen of royal historical fiction of deadly feuds…

Started by Jenni Wong

1 Apr 2, 2010
Reply by Ikhlas Alexandria Bhat

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and highly recommend it. The protagonist Framboise Dartigen recounts what happened in the small village…

Started by Shona

1 Feb 24, 2010
Reply by Thursday Mens reading group

The Night Watch - Sarah Waters

This book was a great read over a rainy 4 day Christmas weekend. The book starts in 1947 and works its way back to 1941 giving us glimpses…

Started by Jane B

0 Dec 29, 2009

Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough

A very well-researched Australian historical novel, based on the life of Richard Morgan and his offspring. How he survived the trip to Aust…

Started by Read, Review & Win

0 Nov 20, 2009

East of the Sun - Julia Gregson

This is a great holiday read about 3 young women who travel to India during the last days of the Raj. Rose who is to marry a cavalry offic…

Started by Jane B

0 Aug 26, 2009

The Lieutenant - Kate Grenville

Kate Grenville imagines the First Fleet and Lieutenant Dawes, the astronomer soldier who set up on the point now named for him at the south…

Started by Bern

0 Aug 7, 2009

The Dracula Dossier by James Reese

I was attracted to this book by the title as I am interested in books related to the famous Count Dracula. This is not about Dracula howev…

Started by Lindach

0 Aug 4, 2009

RSS

Facebook

Like Mosman Library Service on Facebook!

Twitter Updates

© 2024   Created by Mosman Library.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service